TO ADOPT, ONE MUST
- Have current photo identification with your current address
- Be willing and able to spend the time & money needed to care for your cat
- Carefully read the terms of our Adoption Contract and agree to its terms.
- Agree that if they cannot keep the cat they have adopted from St. Sophia’s, they must return the cat to us
- Agree to allow an authorized representative of St. Sophia’s to make an adoption follow-up
WHERE ARE THE CATS?
St. Sophia’s Forgotten Felines’ shelter facility in Wheaton only houses 12-15 adult cats at any given time. We partner with local pet stores to house our cats so that they can be visited by the public.
Seeing as most of our cats are in foster homes, adoptions are either scheduled in advance for during the week (evening appointments), or held at our adoption events on weekends.
If there’s a specific cat that you’re interested in, please call, text, or email us so that we can let you know where the cat is. If a cat is in one of our store locations, you can visit it at any time during normal store operating hours. If the cat is in a foster home, we will need at least 24 hours notice to arrange for a meeting (most often at our shelter in Westmont).
We do not house our kittens in pet stores or at our shelter — they are too little to be in with the big cats, and often drive the big kitties crazy with all their playful antics. Our kittens are brought out on the weekends for our adoption events, or can be seen by appointment.
Adopting should never be an impulse decision — pets are for life. We respectfully ask that you come fully prepared to take on the care of a cat prior to filling out an application. On average, owning a cat costs $40 a month (food/litter/health), which is $480 annually. Cats (especially kittens) take lots of time, dedication, and love to grow and develop into loving and healthy household pets.
Because we at St. Sophia’s pride ourselves in knowing our cats, we want what’s best for them, and to ensure they are going to good homes we conduct reference checks (personal and veterinary) in addition to the basic application. Please expect the adoption process to take at least 24 hours, and when your adoption is finalized, you’ll need to bring a carrier to take your new pet home in.
- Each of our store locations has applications on site that you can fill out and leave with store managers
- Download an Application
- Online Application